Friday, September 11, 2009

MUSIC-Is this just a five letter word for me?

I was as fascinated by the rising and falling of notes along with a few words here and there as any other kid would be. It started with 'baa baa black sheep' and ''twinkle twinkle little star'. You can't really call them songs, but they did introduce me to the world of melody, or for that matter any 4 year old child, other than those who are made to join music classes at an early age (my kids surely will!). I listen to the recordings of my and my bro's singing on tape and laugh to myself about the level of confidence with which i used to sing without even knowing what the lyrics meant. I didn't even pronounce them correctly! I made up words which I don't know made what sense to me but I enjoyed it nonetheless! I used to pester dad to buy cassettes of 'Maine Pyar Kiya' and 'Saajan' kinda movies and listen to them on and on.

But that wasn't the starting of my addiction to music. We had a small tape-recorder with a few cassettes, and that was it. When I went to high school, my perspective changed a lot. Music was something which suddenly became very important. I started linking songs with people or incidents. Yeah, that's how it began. Being a teenager isn't easy. You start becoming aware of many things which you didn't really care of as a kid (Isn't a teenager also a kid?I feel so now when I look back at myself!). My emotional instinct got stronger, and music gradually became my best companion. I needed it right after entering the house, while studying, while relaxing, I wish I had music in classes too! At least some background to make them a little more interesting.

Dad had to get me a music system finally. And it belonged to me! Nobody else was as interested. Fast songs, slow songs, loud while mom and dad weren't at home,not so loud otherwise! When I was at home, I had it on most of the time. Mom used to get pissed off at times, but I never paid much attention.

Today, when I'm sitting in office and breaking my head over a piece of code or trying to analyze a bug, there comes a point when I just can't go on with it and I need something to take my head off it for a moment. It's music. When a take a walk outside and it's drizzling lightly, I have a soft romantic song playing near my ears. It's a heavenly feeling. When I'm travelling to or from work and I see the busy world outside with worried faces, music secludes me from them and takes me to a land of my own- peaceful and serene with no worries. When I'm in a damn good mood, I listen to fast beat songs and celebrate! These are only a few moments I can describe. There are many many more. I enjoy slow music when I am alone or with a bunch of people who want to listen to it the way I do. It's so relaxing! And when it comes to fast ones, it's better to have a group of friends and sing or dance along.

People sometimes ask me what the most beautiful moment of my life is. I can think of only one thing. I was on my way for some tuition when I was in 11th standard. It was a chilly night with lovely breeze. I was walking and suddenly, my ears were stirred by the plucking of guitar strings. I hadn't heard such wonderful melody before. I wanted to stand and listen. It was a perfect combination, with the moon playing hide-and-seek with the clouds and the light wind blowing at my face. I had to hurry up as I was getting late. I wish I could stay.

I have been speaking a lot about music. The readers must be wondering if I have ever made efforts to learn something. I learnt the piano for a couple of months when I was in 6th standard(I can hardly recall anything now!), and then the basic chords of guitar from my bro(who, by the way is an excellent guitarist) and some Rabindra Sangeet from an aunty in my neighbourhood. Nothing really lasted, sometimes because I was lazy and when I wasn't, I had some other commitments to follow. I will blame only myself, though. I wish I had a little more will power to carry on what I love. But here I am, sitting on a chair the whole day long and staring at the computer screen, speaking to clients, etc.

Music is something which has built a relation with my soul, it has not come in my blood or as a legacy. I get goosebumps when I listen to a song which touches something deep inside me. People walk in and out of my life but music never found its way out. I don't think it ever will. I don't want it to. When I am lonely, all I have to do is feel my pockets for my iPod. And then, enjoy the company of my best friend. It never deserts me. It has been my favorite way to live life till date.

2 comments:

  1. I could feel your passion for music as I was reading it.
    The best moment in your life that you described is very beautiful .. I just hope someday it comes to me as well and I could just stop and listen to it all the night ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh ho, Youch Ipshi only Youch,greate thoughts always comes from greate mind. Me and Sriram dont know that we are living with such a soft herted person.

    Good Job sister keep it up. I am waiting for all your new post

    ReplyDelete